Sterling Municipal Library is not the copyright holder for these photos. The Library has obtained permissions to post these photos on the library web site. See the “information” tab for each photograph to learn more.
By 1937, the Mexican School had expanded and been renamed DeZavala Elementary School. Jesse Pumphrey, principal, assembled an outstanding staff from hundreds of applicants aspiring to be a part of one of the first bilingual programs in the country. The school was closed in the 1960s following desegregation.